Holiday Survival Guide for Yogis - Setting Intentions
A long time ago big celebrations took place in this time of year because you didn’t know if you would survive the winter. Nowadays, we still imbibe and indulge as if we might not be here tomorrow. So come January 1st, we’re overfed, undernourished, wiped-out and ready for a life overhaul.
In order to guide you gracefully through the holidays, I've created a Holiday Survival Guide for Yogis to help steer you back to yourself and to what matters most as opposed to feeling pulled away from your better judgment and then downward spiralling into guilt, resentment and feeling like crap.
I made a short video with one of my favorite Ganesh stories to remind us to connect with our hearts and align our holidays with what is most important.
What matters most? How do you want to connect and celebrate this year? Let’s start with some conscious creation of how you want to feel for the next 5 weeks.
Take a few moments to journal the following questions. Then see if you can find ways of simplifying, eliminating and improving upon what hasn't worked in the past. Make some choices about what you will or won’t partake in (be realistic). Decide on what’s most important and prioritize.
- Which holiday traditions support or deplete you? How can you re-create those that you don't want to perpetuate this year?
- How do you want to feel by New Year’s? What commitment can you make to yourself to support your vision?
- How do you feel now? Is your energy depleted or do you feel enthusiastic and vibrant?
- Are there any foods you want to steer clear of? (it's kind of obvious but if you don’t buy it you can’t eat it!) What healthier alternatives can you put in its place?
- How do you want to connect with others and spend time together with loved ones this month? Who do you want to re-connect with that you haven’t spoken to in awhile?
It always starts with getting really clear on what you want, and then being deliberate with your choices to help move you in that direction.